Monday, September 23, 2013

New Linky=Math-y Monday

I am a math convert.  I used to hate math, I mean really hate math.  I was never good at math and when I was in school I always dreaded math.  I had a hard time understanding the concepts and would be totally confused if someone understood math in a different way and tried to show me in any other way other than the way my teacher had shown me.  Then two years ago now, it happened, I found a love for math.  I participated in a yearlong math professional development and it lead to a whole new understanding to math for me.  I could finally see how to do those different techniques teachers would try to teach me and I could finally understand all of the ways to teach math.  I became certified in a program call Add + Vantage Math-Math Recovery through the Kentucky Center for Mathematics.  The whole time I was learning a new way to learn and teach math, I always thought, "Why didn't someone teach me to teach math this way when I was in college?"  In a new blog series, Math-y Mondays, I will be sharing with you some of the intervention techniques and activities that I have learned and implemented with success to my math resource students.
Without further ado, I introduce to you:

My intervention/game for this week is all about forward and backward number sequence.
*PS-You will see a theme develop with my posts.  The strands that are introduced and taught in AVMR are Forward and Backward Number word sequence, Numeral Identification, Addition and Subtraction, and Structuring.*

Math Scrabble
Materials:  100 board/chart
number tiles (1-100)



Setup:
Place up to 10 tiles on the hundreds board
Put remaining tiles in a container (I used a drawstring bag that students couldn't see through)

How to play:

  1. Each student draws 7 tiles from container
  2. Direct the students by saying, "You are looking for the (number before or number after--you decide beforehand what you need to work on) and placing the number tile on the board (in front of or after) the number tiles that are already on place on the board.  You're goal is to place all of your tiles before the other players."
  3. Students take turns placing number tiles in appropriate places on the hundreds board.
  4. When a student places a tile in the correct position, have the student count back or count up to the next tile on the board.  For example, when I play this game with my students we are working on backward number sequence.  If the number tile on the board is 53 and the student lays down 52, then they are correct and they count back from 52 down to 45 (if that is the next tile up on the board).  Depending on your students you can cover the board with a cloth to cover the numbers so they have to count back without support from the manipulatives.
  5. When a student does not have a tile that will work, the student draws a new tile and play is passed on to the next person.
  6. Continue following directions from step 3 on.
  7. Play ceases when a player runs out of tiles or the board is full. 
My students loved this game and ask to play it everyday!  That is success right there!!  Fourth and fifth grader love something = awesome!! :)  You could adapt this for younger grades that are not fluent to 100, by using only numbers to 30.  

Enjoy!  Link up below and share your favorite math games!!  I hope you join in on some new weekly fun!

Here are the ground rules:
1.  Grab my Math-y Monday button and add it to your math game post
2.  Link up your math game post
2.  Make a new friend!  Check out the link before and after yours and leave a friendly comment :)
3.  Leave me a comment and let me know what you think of this new linky! :)

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy your posts so much! I am currently teaching 3rd grade Resource AND 3-5 ERC (self-contained). It's a ton to pile on my plate, but I'm handling it at this point, still trying to balance it all. I learned a lot from your Reading posts last week and have a grand plan to implement some new things in my classroom after Fall Break. My question for you today is Do you teach new Math concepts or just intervention? I am currently trying to do both in a 1 hour block of time and it's just not enough. It takes the entire hour most days to work through our new concept with little or no time for intervention. How do you balance it all? I've thought about doing Math centers, but I'm still not sure there's time for centers on a typical math day. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm so glad that you were able to gather some new ideas from my posts! That's what I'm here for. To answer your question, I only teach intervention during math time. I have my resource math kids for 40 minutes. I coteach in each grade level(3, 4, 5) for math, so I am with them in their regular class for regular math instruction. In the afternoon I have my math kids and we only work on targeting their deficits. If I had more time with them and maybe only one grade level at at time I would teach the common core with groups or something similar to reading. The grade level content is so different for the three grade levels that there isn't a way for me to be introducing a topic (to third grade) and expanding the topic (to my fifth graders).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry hit publish before I finished. I think you could do groups, similar to reading if needed. The thing about math is (for me) is that in resource it I so handson that I can't be with every group and takes notes on them like I like to. Maybe there is a way you can go to their math classes. Hope this helps! Shoot me an email if you have any questions. It's hard to get all of my thoughts out in this comment box! :)

    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile! :)